Skylight Studios has designed and created many portraits in the formats of full figures, busts, and relief plaques. Quite often they have been cast in bronze. Likewise many other commemorative plaques have been modeled and fabricated in a variety of materials.
George Washington Profile in the Entryway of the Washington Monument
This heroic-size bronze portrait relief was designed and completed by Robert Shure in 1995. The 13 oak leaves, a symbol of strength, surround the portrait and George Washington’s signature is incorporated within the design. Robert Shure and Skylight Studios received the Federal Design Achievement Award for this sculpture and renovations in the South Lobby of the Monument.
Ted Williams Tunnel Plaque at both entrances of the Tunnel in Boston, MA
This bronze commemorates Ted Williams, a Boston baseball icon, at the entrances of the tunnel named after him that was dedicated in 1995.
Arnold “Red” Auerbach Bronze Relief – Boston, MA
Installed at North Station near the entryway of the TD Garden, this plaque is a tribute to the legendary coach of the Boston Celtics.
Joe DiMaggio Plaque at Yankee Stadium in NY
The plaque is located in Memorial Park behind Center Field in the stadium with many other Yankee greats.
Robert Shure and Skylight Studios have created countless portrait reliefs and plaques in tribute to many notable people.
Busts and Figures
Some other portraits completed by Robert Shure and Skylight Studios include:
- George M. Cohan in Providence, RI
- Benjamin Franklin in Franklin, MA
- Thomas Jefferson at Pine Lawn Cemetery in Farmingdale, NY
- Donald McKay in Boston, MA
- Don Orione at the Don Orione Shrine in Boston, MA
- John Stark at the Bennington Battle Grounds in Bennington, VT
- Molly Stark on the Molly Stark Trail in Wilmington, VT
- Cy Young at the Site of the First World Series in Boston, MA
- Edwin Land at the Polaroid Corporation in Cambridge, MA
- James Madison at Montpelier in Montpelier Station, VA
- Lucy Stone, Dorothea Lynde Dix, Florence Luscomb, Mary Kenney O’Sullivan, Josephine St. Pierre Ruffin, and Sarah Parker Redmond at the Massachusetts State House in Boston, MA
- E. Virginia Williams at the Boston Ballet in Boston, MA
- John Breen, Mayor of Lawrence, in Lawrence, MA
- John Kane, Mayor of Lawrence, in Lawrence, MA
- Sigmund Freud at Clark University in Worcester, MA
- Clara Barton at the Massachusetts State House in Boston, MA
- George Cleaves in Portland, ME
- Orville and Wilbur Wright at the Aero Club of New England in Boston, MA
- Catherine Filene Shouse at the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions in Boston, MA
- Officer John DiNapoli at Heritage Park in Holyoke, MA
- Reverend John Pingry at the Pingry School in Martinsville, NJ
- Robert Shillman, “A Man and A Cat Named Yitz,” at the Technion Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel
- Paramaz Avedisian at the American University of Armenia in Yerevan, Armenia
- Reverend Henry Whitfield at the Whitfield Museum in Guilford, CT
- John Gilgun, Mayor of Woburn, in Woburn, MA
- Robert Moakley at the South Boston World War II Memorial in Boston, MA
- John Gourgas at the Supreme Council in Lexington, MA